ABOUT PLANT WITH PURPOSE:
For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose, a Christian international development organization, has addressed environmental degradation and rural poverty using an integrated approach that empowers farming families around the world to increase farm yields, heal damaged ecosystems, improve nutrition, and increase household savings and opportunities.
Plant With Purpose currently works in eight countries – Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Tanzania, Thailand, and Ethiopia – applying a unique and integrated methodology that combines environmental restoration, economic empowerment, and spiritual renewal. Our activities include watershed restoration, reforestation, sustainable agriculture training, savings-and-loan groups, local leadership development, and support for Christian church outreach. Inspired by a spiritual commitment to repairing the world and helping those in need, we serve people of all faiths.
The work of our 19 member staff (dispersed throughout North America, concentrated primarily in San Diego) supports Plant With Purpose initiatives around the world. We currently operate with an annual budget of approximately $5.5 M, have experienced significant growth within the past three years, and are poised for continued growth. Find out more about us at http://www.plantwithpurpose.org
OVERVIEW OF THE JOB:
Occupying a newly established position, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a trusted and strategic thought-partner to the CEO and senior staff. Adept at systems thinking and data analytics, s/he has helped steward an organization during a period of rapid growth, developing systems and processes that integrated and streamlined the work of multiple departments. The COO is a Servant Leader who knows how to hire and collaborate with senior professionals to create teams that are productive, efficient, empowering, strategic, and joyful. A professional with previous experience within a nonprofit/INGO or international setting, the COO has a sincere commitment to and passion for the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and in particular, to empowering the diverse communities and people served by the organization.
Among this executive’s many duties, the COO is responsible for:
Strategic Leadership and Collaborative Leadership
- Strategically directing the work of five departments serving international constituencies by facilitating data-driven decision-making, goal setting, clear communication, knowledge sharing, and collaboration
- Providing guidance, mentorship and coaching to senior managers
- Establishing and overseeing new systems for managing, streamlining, collecting, processing and sharing complex data and operations
- Providing on-going strategic recommendations to the CEO based upon the input of senior managers and his/her/their own creativity, analysis of real-time performance metrics (outcomes and finances), and other relevant factors
- Partnering with the CEO, Board, and senior managers on developing long-term operational and strategic plans
- Maintaining continuous lines of communication with the CEO to keep him informed of all critical issues
- Engaging the CEO in discussions about issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery
Managing the Business Operations
- Overseeing human resource operations including hiring and terminating staff as needed
- Representing the organization externally as necessary, particularly in contracting, banking, leasing and other business negotiations
- Ensuring outcome measures are appropriate, trackable, current, and easily understandable to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring compliance with all grants and contracts
- Ensuring that the financial operations – including budget projections and reports – are sound and delivered on a timely basis
- Ensuring that fundraising systems are well-designed, efficient, and serving the needs of staff and donors at all levels
- Ensuring quality control with regard to messaging and marketing
Other duties as required
- Advanced degree in business, finance, international development, nonprofit management or a related field.
- A track record of professional experience working cross-culturally – ideally in a developing country
- Experience managing multiple administrative departments – ideally within a nonprofit/INGO setting
- Experience creating new systems in a growing organization
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Prior experience supervising, coaching and mentoring a team.
- A sincere commitment to the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose
- A commitment to empowering the diverse communities served by Plant With Purpose
Salary range: $115,000 – $130,000. Generous benefits.
Posting Expiration Date: July 10, 2019
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to: Search@patlibby.com
Submissions without a cover letter will not be accepted.
Plant With Purpose is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in its work and staff.